Monday, November 23, 2020

Storage!

 One of the results of fixing up some things in our house is that I had to find a new way to store my painted and unpainted miniatures. I saw a post on the Lone Star Historical Miniatures Facebook page where a fellow gamer used bookshelves on casters to store miniatures in a tighter space.

The shelves are IKEA Billie bookshelves and the casters are 2” casters with a 3/4” bracket bought on Amazon. The handles are drawer pulls I bought at WalMart. I needed four handles and all I could think of in the store was "four candles". The total cost for each bookshelf with casters and pulls cost roughly $75.  It took me about five hours over two evenings to build them.

The four bookshelves put together:


With the casters, they pull out for easy access. That's a lot of painted minis.



One unit is just for unpainted miniatures and terrain. Each box is marked with what unfinished project is in them. I have a lot of unfinished projects and this isn't even all of them yet.


Completed projects are in a unit by themselves, marked with the scale and size. I still need to transfer other completed projects to the new bookshelves. 



One drawback to this new storage system is that many of my old storage boxes were too large for the shelves. I found that the four liter Really Useful Boxes are ideal for these. They don't extend beyond the shelf which allows me to situate units close to each other.  I bought ten boxes directly from RUB in the US which I promptly filled up.  Ten more boxes are on their way. 








No comments:

Post a Comment