Monday, February 19, 2018

Mortem et Gloriam - Classical Indians vs. Late Achaemenid Persians (2/17/2018)

About 25 years ago, when I still lived in Austin, DBM was the ancients rules of choice and I built a Late Achaemenid Persian army. It was fairly balanced and I probably had a 50% win percentage with them. Since moving to Dallas the army has been sitting in a closet and I don't think they've seen a table in at least 21 years. To be honest, until recently gaming in general had become a once or twice a year event for me and when I did game it was usually Chain of Command (WWII), Saga or some version of ACW. 

I was introduced to Mortem et Gloriam (MeG) at MillenniumCon last November. Rob Smith, Bob Huey and others ran a game on Friday night and I was able to sit in, push lead and roll dice. After one turn I was hooked. By the end of the night I had already bought the rules and began researching new armies to buy.  I knew that if I was going to get back into ancients I would need a new army to keep my interest - so I decided on Celtiberians. In the mean time, I still had my very worn, very battered Late Achaemenid Persians (more than one stand of hoplites are missing their long spears).

A few weeks ago, Rob got me in contact with Grant Johnson who lives in the Dallas area. Grant will be playing in the Ides of March tournament in Austin but had never played the rules before and was looking to get in a few games before the tournament. And since my Celtiberians are about 1/2 way finished, I brought out my Persians from their 20 year slumber and Grant fielded the Classical Indians.

The Indians were the defenders and we ended up on normal terrain with no secure flanks. He did out-scout me so I had to set up 30% of my force first. I later realized we did the scouting wrong as I could have kept my extra cards from the pre-battle maneuvering but it wouldn't have mattered much as he had a red and two yellow cards. At most, I may have been able to tie.

I set up per the picture below with my hoplites in the middle, cavalry on my left and crescent shield spearmen on my right. The first few turns saw little action except for the lines closing.  I admit I was a little timid of the Indian archers. The only other time I faced the Indians before was in DBM and I remember getting shot to pieces. I was holding back, waiting for him to make his move with either the elephants or chariots.  Instead, I should have used double moves to get in close, brave the storm of arrows and then smash him with my hoplites.

My very poor die rolling aside - in one combat (charge and melee) I failed to roll one hit on six green dice to break one of his elephant TuGs -  I made the mistake of charging cavalry against elephants.  I know it's wrong but I did it anyway with expected bad results.

In the end, the Classical Indians defeated the Late Achaemenid Persians 15-0. Yet Grant and I were both winners - we got out much underused troops on the table, we played a fun game and we generated interest from others who want to play.  And we expect to get in at least one game before the tournament in March.



Initial set up. Indians on the left and Persians on the right
View from the right flank cavalry toward the Indian line.
The Indian line - Elephants and mixed units of spears and bows.
Persian hoplite line with a SuG of archers in the lead.
That's a lot of elephants!
Persian cavalry in confusion on the left flank.
Horse archers decide to charge. (Note to self: don't do this again).
Second note to self: if you cavalry is going to get steam rolled by elephants, don't add more cavalry to the mix!
Horse archers break causing a KaB against the friends to the rear and the elephants pursue.
Elephants smash into the second line of cavalry who briefly hold.
Persian cavalry try to save the right flank by charging the chariots.
It was a fairly even match but you can see that the Persian cavalry broke against the chariots.
Meanwhile, the infantry slowly engages.
The Indian elephants charge the Persian bowmen. They skirmish instead of run away.
More charging in the center. I will hurt them but ultimately fail to break a TuG before they break my entire army.

No comments:

Post a Comment